We're happy behind the scenes, but sometimes people just want to know...
HOW DID IT ALL GET STARTED?
Pilates ProWorks was founded in 2009 in San Francisco by husband and wife team, Oscar Sanin and Taylor Carter.
Oscar’s journey to founding Pilates ProWorks came by way of a personal health crisis. He sustained injuries from a serious accident and, over the years, was told he needed to undergo major surgery. In his search for an alternative opinion, a doctor recommended he try Pilates before undergoing surgery. Oscar started a pilates regimen and was amazed by the strength and improvement that he gained in such a short period of time.
However, being a successful entrepreneur, he also saw things that didn’t work for him and a new opportunity was born. Many of the reformers on the market lacked quality and comfort, and yet the cost of sessions was very expensive. He became convinced that there was a way to give more people the opportunity to practice Pilates, and on a superior machine.
He worked with industrial designers and fitness consultants to overcome the limitations of the classic reformer to create the FitFormer™. Once he had the machine, and a contemporary workout to go with it, he opened the first studio in San Francisco, offering group classes and accessibly priced monthly memberships.
WHo are we?
• Originally from Colombia but calls Napa, CA home.
• His passion for business, design, and entrepreneurism helped him bootstrap PPW from one studio to 15, in six years.
• Loves to mentor new entrepreneurs. His entrepreneurial drive is fueled by a sincere interest in helping others.
• Obsessively reads the news.
• Originally from Michigan but, with Oscar, calls Napa home.
• Has always had a passion for fitness and nutrition, and loves to cook.
• Worked in Los Angeles on feature films and TV commercials for 10 years.
• When not working, she can be found riding horses or on the tennis court.
• Northern California native, orginally from Chico and has lived in SF from almost 9 years.
• Previously worked in tech and healthcare and loves helping others achieve their goals.
• Sports, fitness and nutrition have been a forever focus.
• Loves being outdoors and on, near or in the water and fishing of all types, especially fly.
• Travel off the beaten path and cooking of jam are inspirations.
• Originally from Sonoma, has called SF home for over 13 years.
• Avid traveler, has visited over 18 countries.
• A passionate climber of things. Mostly rocks, but also trees and very tall people.
• Used to be in the circus. Seriously.
• Hates cooking unless its with a camp stove or a NutriBullet.
• Born and raised in San Francisco.
• Studied Russian ballet under Inna Bayer.
• Was dancing professionally, when she discovered Pilates as the best cross-training.
• Has two Master's degrees in Arts Education and Jewish Studies.
• Has a lot of cats (no, seriously).
• Freelances as an illustrator of quirky and whimsical paintings.
• Originally from Seattle, Washington, but has lived in Chicago for 12 years.
• Started off as dancer and fell in love with the fitness world while using pilates as cross training.
• Is a closet nerd and is an avid board and video gamer.
• Has a minor in vocal performance.
• Can be easily calmed down by being fed french fries and or croquetas.
• Born in Bogotá but all his family is from Manizales.
• Despite being Latin, is obsessed with punctuality. Don't be late for class!
• Passionate about fitness for 15 years. Could spend all day teaching, working out, and researching what's new in fitness..
• Has built a dream team. Very proud of PPW Colombia and all 3 of his studios.
• Always bikes to and from work.
• Originally from Minnesota, lived in New York City modeling full time with Wilhelmina Models for several years.
• Fitness modeling lead her to become obsessed and impressed with PPW, while preparing for the company's photo shoot.
• Loves to constantly be learning, whether it's through traveling, reading, watching documentaries or watching You Tube videos on how to knit
• Obsessed with HGTV and Food Network; aka so excited to be living back in her home state of Minnesota again.
• Originally from Southern California, lived in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Boston, San Francisco and settled in Burlingame, CA with her husband and kids.
• Has always had a passion for fitness, nutrition and helping others achieve their personal best.
• Has over 13 successful years under her belt as an executive in the financial services industry focusing on the build out of new businesses including national accounts, marketing, sales, due diligence and distribution.
• Annabelle is an accomplished musician and trumpet player.
• Both... have experience in health care and see how lifestyle-related behaviors affect people’s short and longterm wellbeing.
• ...share a commitment to people’s health and happiness
• ...love skiing, hiking, dogs, and Pilates
• Lives in Mill Valley with her husband and two children.
• Born in Serbia, raised in Canada
• Graduated from York University in Toronto with a double major in Law and Sociology
• Modeled internationally while based out of Miami and Los Angeles
• With a passion for fashion, Violette embarked upon a corporate career in retail management for over 20 years which culminated in responsibility of 22 stores, $20.5 million in revenues and 200+ direct reports.
• Passionate about health, nutrition, hiking, entertaining, reading, fashion trending and antiquing (last two not so much anymore since became a mom!)
• Lives in Larkspur with her husband, 3 boys and 2 dogs.
• Transplant from New York where she went to Columbia University, modeled for Wilhelmina and worked as a trader on Wall Street.
• Lifelong passion for fitness; fell in love with Pilates ProWorks as a client years ago.
• Loves cooking, dogs, food and wine - music is a passion which she loves to share through her class playlists.
• A third generation Miami native, Summer has also lived in San Francisco, Las Vegas, Denver and Avon, CO
• Was one of the original Pilates Instructors in the flagship PPW studio in the Marina, she is also an Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga Instructor
• Is passionate about travel, reading, fitness and loves the outdoors (camping, trail running, hiking, snow boarding)
• Has Run with the Bulls in Pamplona, scuba dived in Thailand, motorbiked through northern Vietnam, climbed three of Colorado's famous Fourteener's and spent 6 weeks camping in the Pacific Northwest
• Worked in the restaurant industry for years, loves to cook and appreciates great food and wine
• 20 yrs experience as an attorney with 2 multi-national firms.
• Started teaching fitness classes in 1988 in college to pay for shoe habit.
• Passionate about barre & pilates since her first Lotte Burke class in Manhattan in 1995.
• Dreamed of owning her own studio since the birth of her daughter Abbie in 2000; finally made it happen!
• Born & raised in Pittsburgh, PA but currently calls the Metro DC area (i.e. Alexandria, VA) home and is loving the explosion of fabulous restaurants there.
• Built a 20 year career in the commercial construction industry in marketing, communications and strategic development.
• Currently serves as a Vice President for The Walsh Group, a national construction company headquartered in Chicago.
• Originally a southern belle from Atlanta, Jessica moved to Chicago in 2015 for her (now) husband. She still hasn't adjusted to the cold.
• Passionate about life balance and taking 55 minutes a day to think about nothing but taking care of your body.
• Takes her mini Goldendoodle Charlie everywhere, including the studio. Look for him as the studio mascot!